Sunday, November 14, 2010

Citizenship in School: Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome by Christopher Kliewer (Quotes)

"It’s not like they come here to be labeled, or to believe the label. We're all here-kids, teachers, parents, whoever-it’s about all of us working together, playing together, being together, and that's what learning is.”

I really liked this quote and thought that it was important. I agree that in school no one should have a label and be treated differently because of that. I also think that it is important to know that everyone is working together and learning together. School is supposed to be a safe and comfortable place for everyone and there needs to be a way for that to happen.

"Jason ponders, “How do we erase those negative attitudes?” in light of the fact that “people without disabilities are judging us.”

I liked this quote but at the same time I did not like this quote. I liked it because I thought it was important to know that people do this. I think that no one should be judged because of a disability and no one should have to feel judged because of a disability. I think it is sad that someone would have to feel that way and do not think someone should judge because they only know how to live life in their own shoes.

“Each student contributes a unique and potentially valuable dimension to the web of relationships that formed a school community”

I thought this was a good quote because I think that it is very important to have diversity in a school. Without diversity I feel as though then there is just one type of learning being taught but with it there are many types. I think each student’s own uniqueness is very important for themselves but it may even help other students.

This site is about different types of learning. I thought it was intersting because everyone learns different ways, some techniques work for some people and not for others.

I think this article was important and in class I would like to talk about what everyone thinks and their views about this article.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your quotes, esp the first one about how we have to all work together because I think thats very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had highlighted the second one when I read it too!!!

    ReplyDelete