Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gender and Education (Hyperlinks)

The topic of gender and education is still an issue today, although not as big as it use to be but there is still an issue. Before searching about it and reading articles I did not realize there was still an issue with segregation of genders in school.
I found this article that was very interesting to me. The article talked about a blog  that was about a Middle School in 2009 in Kaplan, LA where the girls and boys were split up for their core curriculum classes. The principal said “boys are more likely to enjoy argument and lively classroom debate while females may be content to simply observe.”  I personally could not disagree anymore with this statement and while reading more of the blog neither could the person who blogged about it. In the blog it talked more about how the “boys will learn to be active, dynamic participants in conversation, to be leaders and movers and shakers, while pushing girls to sit quietly and listen to what people tell them, setting them up for a nice obedient life of doing whatever their husband says and never speaking up.” I think that this is awful and that they feel the females should not get the same education as the males. Luckily, this issue is going to the court because of a lawsuit on Title IX law. The article ended with this quote, “Sex segregation has no place in public schools, especially when its message is that girls ought to sit down, shut up and find a man to take care of them.” I think although at a time women were suppose to sit down and take care of men, I do not think this is their job anymore at all.
I thought this video was interesting because it was done in 2010 by High School boys. It talks about how women not having rights and being unequal but they are saying to "turn things around." Although the things they are saying are not all about education, I thought it was interesting that it was done by High School students and that they were boys.

In class I would like to talk about if anyone has seen or has been segregated in schools by gender. I know for me personally I have not, only with sports but I still think that that is an issue.

1 comment:

  1. I really did like the article that you put up, and the blog you shwoed was very similiar to ours as well.

    ReplyDelete