Sunday, October 10, 2010

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us by Linda Christensen (Reflection)

While reading this article I was confused about what the point was about. While reading it all I was getting from it was how bad the world is and that in Cartoons there were underlying stereotypes. Finally while reading the last paragraph I understood that the point was suppose to be about making a difference. The last sentence says that instead of leaving the students upset with what they were learning and learning how bad the world is, the teacher wanted them to make a difference. I on the other hand still only got the image of how bad the world is.
I understand that some cartoons and movies make a gender or race feel lower then another gender or race but I also feel that that is just how society is. I do not think that this is right, but I feel like why take the fun out of cartoons (like the teacher did to her students) and classic Disney movies if this is how the society is. I think the cartoons are being too analyzed.
After reading the article I was frustrated. I understand that in cartoons and movies, which are made for children, there are many stereotypes; I think that in some cases this never changes. I wish and think everyone wishes that this would not happen but it has not happened yet. I think cartoons should not be blamed fully though, it is the society that we are in that makes the cartoons the way they are. I also think though that depending where you are the theme of the movie changes and the princess is not necessarily white. In other countries I feel as though the main person probably changes depending where they are and their race. Our Disney movies usually have a princess that is white, pretty and very girly and I understand that this is not a good image to give to young kids but there are also other movies such as Mulan who is opposite, she is not white and she goes off to battle and is not very girly. Although there are not many princesses who are not white, there are some, which is better than none.
I think movies can be changed now but there will always be classic movies that have these stereotypes. I felt bad while reading the article that during the project when the children were watching the cartoons and analyzing them that the fun was taken out of them. The point of cartoons and movies are to entertain people and if the fun is taken out of them what is the point of watching them if they only annoy and leave us thinking how bad the world is?
            In class I want to talk about the part with the black Cinderella.

3 comments:

  1. i really like that you looked at this article a little differently. you're last sentence about how movies are made to entertain people, not to be analyzed and broken down, is very true. i do think that most movies are very stereotypical, and therefore different movies with different types of characters should be created, however, like you said, the classics will always be around so people need to simply enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really likes all the points you made. And also how you said the classics will always be around :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your point that cartoons are not meant to be stereotypical but i think what the article was trying to get across was that even though they are not meant to be analyzed they are without consciousness

    ReplyDelete